Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bettman, You're Fired.

In the past 5 years, hockey has tried restore its reputation after the lockout. No one more than I thinks they’ve done a lousier job.


First, I can’t tell you how much I hate, I mean HATE, the shootout. It’s hard as hell to skate wind-sprints for 60 minutes up and down the rink, but to end it in a cheap and pointless way ruins the game. The shootout was designed to draw in new fans, but it what it did was disappoint the die-hard fans out there. Even Ovechkin, a former leading scorer for the NHL, was less than 30% in the 08-09 season (12 out of 42) for the shootout. If it was made to let the Allstars shine, it clearly isn’t working. It’s a bogus way to end a hard played game on luck. It’s like kissing your sister…just wrong.


Next, hockey isn’t a tough sport like it was. Hockey was rough; guys, even goalies, didn’t play with helmets. When a frozen puck hits you in the face going 90, you’re either a lunatic or love the game to go back out there and do it again. Elbows were thrown, clothes-lining a guy wouldn’t even get you a minor, and missing teeth were like warrior stripes. Today, it’s all about “safety” and portraying the“role-model image” for up and coming kids. Its fine to be classy, but don’t take away that masculinity I love to watch on Saturday nights. Now the NHL is considering keeping your helmets on while you fight. WHAT IS THIS?! It’s not like they don’t suspend and fine the guys enough! Soon they won’t have a salary because they finished a check! Let’s all quit calling like little girls and let me see some blood!


On top of it all, we haven’t chosen exactly the best guys for the job. No, I’m not referring to Bettman who we already know is a screw-up, but I’m talking about the guys who don’t present a good image for the league. It’s the mere basics. Don’t hire an idiot if you don’t want to look like one yourself. What I’m really beating around the bush to say is, if your guy uses his stick to whack his own goalie over the head to be carted off the ice, you are almost OBLIGATED to sit him (Ballard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETOshVnLO8). Give me a break; he was throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the game, as a 27 year old. Ridiculous? I want that sent up to Toronto for review.


--Meg

2 comments:

  1. My dad once saw Bettman in a parking garage in New York City. He said it took all his strength not to punch him in the face.

    -Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was beautiful.
    ill tell that to my children before bed one day.

    --meg

    ReplyDelete